Connect With The BDSS

Thursday 28 April 2011

Royal Wedding (Prince William and Kate)


Ah the most talked about wedding of 2011 is almost upon us! it will be taking place tomorrow as if you didn't know lol! You can't escape the hype surrounding Prince William and Kates wedding!

While I wish the couple well, I can't help but chuckle at all the hysteria surrounding it!

From the very first day that the engagement was announced, I've not been able to read a newspaper or watch a news program without some sort of article or lead story being written about it! We Brits love a Royal wedding.

First there was the initial relief that he asked her at all which I guess just perpetuates the idea that every woman is incomplete unless she has a husband by her side!

Next there has been all the anticipation about what her dress will be like, and who will be designing it! As if Katherine is some sort of style icon! whoever ran out and bought imitaitons of the blue dress she wore in the picture above, shame on you! Its an okay dress but it's not much to get excited by. Although I'm sure she will look fabulous in her wedding dress.

Then there is also all the hype surrounding the guestlist, who has been invited and who hasn't! If like me and Tony Blair you haven't been invited...not to worry...you're in the majority lol!

I can count on one hand the number of people I know who will be venturing down to Westminster to try and catch a glimpse of the couple on the day, the majority of people I know will be like me not be bothered one bit and will probably try to avoid it on tv.

But BDSS'ers what are your views and thoughts and feelings of this Royal wedding? What about the hype surrounding it? Do you care?

14 comments:

  1. I mean, I have nothing against Prince Will & Kate and they seem to be a lovely couple and I hope it lasts and I wish them all the best. But, I'm not really on the hype and the hysteria of at all.

    However, since they are the reason we have yet another day off work, it would just be rude to not at least catch a glimpse on the TV. BUT, I won't be travelling to OR camping in a tent in Westminster lol. Don't even think my street is having a party!! LOL

    I'm not so sure I'll be getting any memorabilia; I remember mum had a Charles and Di tray that got used to the death!! lol

    What made me laugh was that one of the prayers will supposedly include that (Will) will love his wife and (Kate) will be faithful to her husband - and I suppose not run off with an Egyptian stallion :O lol

    But serious, I wish them all the happiness and success, with more Bank Holidays to come!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand the hype IT is Royal event. SO yes people will talk about it and have opinions. However it does get a little too much. The history of the monarchy is very interesting from a legal point of view. I am not as moved by the wedding but wish them well and yeah i will watch why not, however if you open this a little more. The royal's rarely have events so yes folks that are looking forward to this should be excited.

    Royal family are of Christian back ground so those that have never heard hymns, or heard prayer will for the first time encounter such so i look at it differently than just worldly hype.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you all watching it bdss'ers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I'm watching now... She looks beautiful.
    I'm really getting into it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am waiting for her to get out of the car!!!

    She does look lovely in the lace! Her sisters bridemaid dress looked simple and beautiful as well!

    Sarah burton at Alexander Mcqueen has designed that dress! It looks very Kate, very her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes - I'm watching girl lol

    And, she does look beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm going to cry just with the sheer magnificence of it all!
    I did not know I was a Royalist until now! haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made for makeup this is what you were talking about! The biblical readings and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's what I don't get: I can understand why in Britain the royal wedding would be a big event, but why is the media machine here in the U.S. going all gaga over it? I thought my country's history was all about getting away from royalty. I guess people here are willing to submit to royalty again...

    Royalty aside, I hope they find some happiness together as people. And someone needs to teach Prince William how to smile properly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi SmilingAhab welcome and thanks for commenting.

    I have seen a lot of comments particularly on twitter with people asking what is all the excitement about and I agree with you as even I felt indifferent to it all up until today that is! This was in spite of having work colleagues who were going Royal Wedding crazy on me telling me their plans and asking me what I’m doing for it …my answer being NOTHING! ha-ha.

    But I could not help but get swept in with all the hype upon seeing the couple.
    I also felt …(dear I say it) a sense of ‘British’ pride! Especially when the crowd was cheering and waving the flag.

    However I can't say I would feel the same way about some other countries nuptials though so I can understand your indifference!

    But as a women who loves a good wedding and who grew up on a good dose of fairytales I could not help but swoon with the magnificence of it all - a ‘commoner’ becoming a princess (it is the stuff of fairytales)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Smiling Ahab...

    In all honesty, I suppose we Brits over the water would probably jump on all over the train of excitement if, say, President Obama and Michelle were to get hitched (providing of course they weren't already so!!). I mean, you should have felt the atmosphere from practically every Briton of colour in the run up to his inauguration!!! LOL

    Awww, Prince William's nervousness is endearing and humbling lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm late, but I thought Kate looked gorgeous on her wedding day. I wouldn't say I'm a royalist but I did feel that their wedding was a landmark occasions that I will look back in years to come and say yes, I was watching that in bed on television. I must say it was really nice for friends and family to have an extra day off too!

    ReplyDelete