Connect With The BDSS

Saturday 1 January 2011

New Year ...New You!

Happy New Year everyone!


2011 is finally upon us and as you all know a new year inevitably means … resolutions!


A quick Google search reveals the top 5 resolutions for us Brits (according to research by gocompare.com) are:
  1. Lose weight
  2. Do more exercise
  3. Improve finances
  4. Eat more healthily
  5. Look for a new job.
Now to tell you the truth I have never ever been a new year’s resolution making kind of girl.  In fact I can’t tell you the last time I made a new years resolution or created a vision board (maybe because I have no vision!) or done some other type of traditional new years eve type ritual where I vow to do or not do something which will be advantageous for me!


The reason being, I’m quite cynical about such things (…along with other things like self help books and the law of attraction) I don’t know why but I just don´t half believe in none of the above.


I mean writing down a list of things you want to achieve is one thing; doing or taking the steps to actually achieve those things is something totally different. Plus research suggests that only a small percentage of people are actually successful in achieving their new years goals (a meager 12%). 

Now I know you're thinking what is wrong with trying to be one of those successful 12%? and my answer would be nothing at all, but when you consider the following findings: 

¨Two fifths of people said they were making a new year's resolution because they genuinely hoped they would be able to change their behaviour, although 54% admitted they would probably have broken their pledge by the end of January. Just 14% thought they would be able to maintain their new behaviour for between six and 12 months¨

Also the mental health charity Mind have recently reported that setting unrealistic goals based on insecurities or on work or financial worry´s could trigger feelings of failure and inadequacy if the plans fail to materialise.

Therefore I get a bit cynical about making any resolutions based around this time of year. Although don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking goal setting (I have goals too) I just don’t think they need to be confined to New Years! Plus its not about what you say you’re going to do that’s important but rather how you plan to do it. 

Therefore in the spirit of not being a cynical girl this new years check out this interesting website quirkology.com for tips on a successful resolution. I have summarized the main points below:
  1. Make only one resolution - the chances of success are more likely when you channel your energy into changing one aspect of your behavior at a time.
  2. Plan ahead - don´t wait until New Years eve to think about your resolution. Take a few days to think about what it is you really want to achieve out of life.
  3. Be specific - think about the how, when, where and what.
  4. Avoid previous resolutions or approach an old problem from a new angle.
  5. For men (I think it can also apply to women) create goals that are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time based (SMART).
  6. For Women (as above, can also apply to men) go public, tell people what your resolution/goal is and ask them to give you a gentle nudge (reminder) if you go off the wagon.
  7. Last but not least ... be persistent, and don´t blame yourself (or beat yourself up) if you falter or give into temptation. Remember everyone messes up from time to time. Don´t use it as an opportunity to give up. (I really agree with this statement not just for new years, but for life!)
So BDSS’rs ... are you into resolutions? are you going to lose weight,  exercise more,  improve your finances,  eat more healthily or find a new job in 2011?


Here´s wishing that whatever you have planned for 2011 you put your foot in it! :-D

3 comments:

  1. Great post Si - except 'put your foot in it' could mean screw it up or do something embarrassing! but I get your sentiments! :D

    For me, this line rings ever true "setting unrealistic goals based on insecurities or on work or financial worry´s could trigger feelings of failure and inadequacy if the plans fail to materialise" - and this is precisely why I'm not into the whole New Year's resolution making either, well at least not the calendar New Year.

    I agree that it shouldn't be an act limited to one time of the year but should I ever feel the overwhelming urge to make a new start at a specific time of year, it tends to be my own 'New Year'; my birthday. It feels more personal and therefore more meaningful as opposed to jumping on a bandwagon or rolling with the forces of excitement and following fashion. I don't know about you but I can become highly self-critical if I don't achieve things I set out to do and I guess it's because I have a great sense of pride in completing objectives at any time of year.

    I believe that resolutions should be a constant effort to improve yourself and this can happen at any point in life. We just need to be sure we're ready to make the choice in question. It's like quitting smoking, eating more healthily or getting with/leaving someone; unless you are really at that point where you make a conscious decision that things can no longer go on the way they are, it's very likely that you'll fall back into original patterns of behaviour that feel safe and normal.

    My continuing objectives in life (or resolutions if you like) are:
    - to strengthen my relationship with and faith on God
    - to try and not to take things so personal
    - to try and appreciate the good people and things around me
    - to not procrastinate so often

    ... amongst others and when my birthday's come round, I use the time to reflect on the above to see whether I have fulfilled them, whether I may need to change my strategy and what else I could possibly do to help me achieve my ultimate aspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to but no longer because i found i just never kept to it and why stress myself, i really wanted to do something i should not wait till news years to say right this year new start, when i can do that at any point in the year and some how i found the resolution would talk to me me like oh you couldn't even keep it to it for 1 week and that would make me feel bad so i took lame control and just stopped not promising anything and just doing it. Now that i found easier don't talk about it just be about it attitude. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! I've got nothing against New Years resolutions if that rocks your boat but I've made a conscious effort for years to spend time reflecting on the highs and lows of the year that has passed so I know what direction to take for the year ahead. Instead of making resolutions I often write down my goals for the year ahead. I ensure that these are realistic objectives that will make me and my children happy. Every five years I will also make a 5 year plan to write bigger goals etc

    I was looking back at what I had written 9 years ago, and was so pleased to see the things or amount of things I had ticked off. So even when I am on a bit of a downer I have it in black and white what I have done. So often it is easy to focus on what you haven't done without reflecting on how well you have done.

    If I haven't done something I don't fell guilty though, and try and just roll it over to the next year or question whether it was realistic in the first place.

    ReplyDelete