Connect With The BDSS

Sunday 31 July 2011

My Electronic Companion!!

"Always be pressing my buttons, mane!"
My 'Torch' into the world was diminished the day I forgot my Blackberry at home. Er - don't tut and roll your eyes at me; we all know how it feels the moment you realise you left your beloved phone behind. For me, that sinking feeling came a week ago as I was stepping onto the train to work. Even though I normally read a book or the paper on the train and shouldn't technically miss the phone, all I could do was think about it, left all alone on the charger with no-one to respond to its random noises or acknowledge its red bleeps (aww, diddums!). Once I'm at work, I can pretty much use the work phone and access any social site to contact my family and friends but I'm at a lost when I'm waiting for a bus to the station with nothing to 'fiddle' with (keep it watershed, ladies and gents!), so it really shouldn't have been too much of a deal ...

Honestly, I'm not a maniac (well, not completely) but I thought it would be interesting to explore just how much we depend on our phone nowadays and more precisely, the smartphone. I treat my Torch like my personal PA; it's my shopping list, my wishlist, my light into the social world. My notepad, my dictionary and my compass should I get lost. My methodology for remembering birthdays, my camera for those special moments and alarm clock. It even - and get this - enables me to speak to people via a mini microphone and if I don't remember the number, there's this app call 'Phonebook' that enables me to look it up (with another app to stop me from having to speak to those I'd prefer not to - ha!).

But that's my point, our phones are such a significant tool within the modern life that it only becomes apparent when you've either forgotten it or lost it. But being so dependable in more ways than I have already mentioned, how could it not be? On a BDSSer night out a few months back, our BDSSer Bi even found the time and signal in the club to examine potential properties (granted, the place was dry) showing just how integrated our lil assistants are in our everyday lives.

However, I liken it to our very own electronic pet since it demands attention in return for fulfilling so much for us. Eager to stay on form, it practically throws a strop when it's in need of some juice (i.e. battery power), becomes erratic when it has a fever (i.e. caught a bug), and appreciates a stroke or two (i.e. a good wipe of the screen!). Some of us even go as far as to find it a lovely coat to protect it from the elements (i.e. case).

Those of us with Blackberries had real problems getting our 'pets' to behave last week when Blackberry Messenger went down lol; it was a real pandemonium. I had rebooted mine about 3 times before I figured it had to be something else. Alas, I must hang my head in shame and admit that I pulled out my 2nd Blackberry to send a 'test' message to the 1st one as my mini experiment. It got to the point where BDSSer Sel and I labelled the messages we sent with the time we were sending them lol. What made me laugh is that even in the midst of an obvious problem, you still had those serial broadcasters sending their ' if you don't send this on your whole phone's operational system will be deleted' crap (or something to that ridiculous effect). A system update a few days later and all was well.

I remember the days when you had a diary, an actual alarm clock (or in some cases, a mother!), an A-Z,  MSN and then a simply Sony Ericsson (or BT Cellnet for the unfortunate ones!) - those days are long gone and have been replaced by our lil electronic companions that seem to do it all. Not so much I wouldn't know what to do without it, but I can honestly say I'd struggle a whole heap going back to the pre-smartphone era.

I hope to be as appreciative of the Playbook; when I eventually get one!

Do you have an Electronic Companion? Be it your tablet or laptop, your mp3 player or your kindle, is it something you'd struggle to do without?

4 comments:

  1. #teamiphone!

    At least I still have a diary! lol but my phone acts as my alarm clock, my A-Z, my walkman, my book, plus it's how I access my emails and the internet instantly.

    There is an app for everything! The other day my partner came across an AP that auto tunes your voice and adds a dance backing track; what followed was 10 minutes of family fun! (Sounding like electro pop stars:-D)

    Also if I see something or someone on TV I think looks interesting a few touches of the iphone and I have the information that I want instantly.

    As much as I love the instant access to information it is sometimes nice to just switch off the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brill post girl because I can so relate, I have been called a smartphone addict but I really didn't think I was until I read this!

    I just took a minute to think could I last the day without it? Hell Nah! With 3 kids it's my sight into the wider world, I like to check my emails, Facebook, Twitter, find new aps call my eldest. I really would be lost without it, along with my laptop.

    Sometimes I think back to how life was without all these things and don't know how we coped lol. People having to call the house phone, pagers with just numbers to call back!

    I am a total wiki addict though, and really think my concentration is kinder slack because I no longer tend to pick up books and rather rely on snippets of information from websites to keep me enagaged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes i do have a few, my mp3 players, my mobile phone and my laptop all of which have my favourite thing music, i just can not function without playing music, be it worship pop, hip hop gospel RnB, it just has to happen. I find that my mp3 player battery finishes no problem i have my phone which has a better battery life. I think for me what i find sad is people no longer smile at one another because we are all so glued on our phones. Aside from that technology is great its advances us in many ways. My phone has my law dictionary on there which i can look up and most importantly i have 2 bibles with man versions on it, its how i tweet passages, its how i high light and make notes on passages how i post them on Goo gle+ and Facebook, next is Evernote i love this application to write something and it automatically syncs with your laptop and you can access the info from any laptop in the world so long as you have your password.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely a blackberry addict, being able to surf the next whenever I want to, email, bb, whatsapp, tweet, fb and other things, just makes it impossible for me to be without my phone for long periods of time.

    It is really very bad. I no longer remember anybody's phone number as they are all in my phone book. And there are a whole host of things I no longer do as one phone app or another does it for me.

    Death of certain brain cells I think!

    ReplyDelete