Connect With The BDSS

Tuesday 17 August 2010

A good deed TURNED...

If you have read my good friend Bi’s post: The BDSS: "I've always relied on the kindness of strangers" then you will know that an act of kindness can have a huge impact on someone’s life, which is a great thing.
However in this post I’m going to be talking about the not so greatness that comes when a good deed or an act of kindness turns the opposite of great, it turns into something else…

Now I know I’m not alone when I say that we all know people who when we give a little, they take a lot!!
These are normally the people who when your phone rings and you see its them calling, you think twice before answering… and if your anything like me, your initial enthusiasm in answering your phone quickly turns to a sinking feeling in your stomach, a feeling of panic and dread... as in what are they calling me for now? Basically, you know they are not calling for a friendly chat!

Unfortunately I am currently experiencing these types of phone call! lol

For example, yesterday I gave someone step by step instructions on how to set up an email account over the telephone. This was so they could renew their car insurance online…

Not so bad you might be thinking…

… Well I beg to differ! If anything I found it quite a stressful experience:

(This is me)

Type g mail in Google’… ‘Go to Sign up –no, ignore Sign in!’…’type in your first name’… ‘type in your second name’ …’copy the security code as it appears’… ‘If it is a capital ‘a’ type in ‘A’... if it is the number ‘1’ type in the number ‘1’!’…
So this went on for about 15 to 20 minutes. Eventually the email account was set up and I went back to my evening… a good deed done!

About half an hour later my phone rings! I look at the caller ID and a similar feeling of panic and dread set in... so I answered sheepishly…
´Hello?´(At this point I was worried they might actually ask me to search for car insurance for them!)... lucky they did not, phew!

The person proceeded… ‘Yeah Si, I´ve just done a search on comparethemarket.com but I was not very happy with the lowest quote I was given...’
I’m like …’OK
The person continues … ‘Do ya reckon I should try Elephant.co.uk instead?´

I was like … ´You can try who ever you like!´ whilst thinking...What the???!

It was at this point something dawned on me: All my good deeds and acts of kindness toward this person (i.e answering random questions like ´Si, I´m thinking about going Asda´s what time does it shut?´ my answer: ´I don´t know!´) lol -have turned into something more sinister ... a bloody DEPENDENCY! ...eek...
 
 
 
 

9 comments:

  1. This post is hilarious si!

    Shall I try elephant.co.uk as well! That's classic! LMAO!

    I hate it at times when people become dependant and just rely upon you for things they can do themselves how hard is it to set up an email address really! Not very! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That´s what I mean Sel - its not difficult at all! I can´t even tell you all the calls I got before hand regarding setting up the email account, they we´re even trying to arrange a day to come round to do it! lol - I had to say no its quite easy just go to g mail and follow the steps... but even that was difficult! I mean it was only 7 boxes and the simplest layout! ... but in fairness I can understand to some people the internet is gobbledygook!

    But I can´t even begin to go into details about the random calls I get during the day, sometimes when I´m at work...´Can you set up an eBay account for me´, ´Can you set up an account for a car auction website´, ´Can you find a headlamp on line for my car´, ´Can you sew my pants for me!´

    And what takes the biscuit is that they have a partner and when I say have you asked your partner can´t they do it, their like... I don´t know! (??) Between the two of them I can´t figure out how they can´t set up an email account!!! and Asda is a true life story... driving home from work! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO girl yeah man that would get on my nerves, it makes you ask yourself do they not think I have a life too?!!

    I think sometimes people become so reliant on others that they actually forget to use their own bloody brains!

    Perhaps you should start making excuses as to not giving them advice, and then hopefully they will get the hint!!

    Time is too precious to spend time guiding capable people through everyday life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You get me Bi... between my family and work do you think I have time to sew your pants? Its almost like they have no consideration at times... I did draw the line at selling the car on Ebay, I said I don´t have an eBay account, so instead they phoned their other friend to do it! lmao (some people have delegation down to a fine art!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this gave me plenty of laughs, on a sort if serious note you actually proved to yourself just how patient your are and in the end you win the battle. Patients is many peoples hang ups we want things now the days of taking our time or waiting on something or someone are gone and some lessons in being patients are harder to come by than others, however don't get taken for a ride as you say you give an inch they take a bloody mile... plus there us only so much you can do :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, I mean I really do try hard to counteract these what the?? moments! lol and be nice and understanding and say no when I really can´t help!!

    But I just can´t understand what is going on in the brain area... just to constantly want things done and expect other people to do it, without even a hint of shame (shame is not really the right word) or nothing! Just happy to take take take!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol yes Si - you have the patience of a saint!

    I'm going to call you saint Si from now on :)

    This does sound like this person is not very confident on the internet though rather than someone leeching of you all the time.

    But if it starts infringing upon your life and they start going on funny when you say no, you always have the option of bringing it to their attention. Nothing wrong with being straight and saying "wait a minute mi look like slave to yuh?" lol! Do the accent as well just to emphathise ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pure jokes (what time does Asda close???). From you're willing to go to a shop to decide what computer to buy, then take it home and decide which broadband to set it up with, you can set up an email account!! lol

    I know if that were me, I'd have ended up saying 'let me call you back in 5 mins', would've set up the blasted account and then come back and email the details - only cos I don't think I have the patience to actually talk someone though something they should know. But when it comes to more pressing matters, or those that require serious time, effort and perhaps money, that's when I'd have to put my foot down and show them where to go online to get the help they really need. After all, it's probably the same place I got my info/knowledge from!!

    Although, I do know that with some people it's much easier said than done and sometimes to just to save the earache, we end up giving in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tell ya Sel... If I felt I could say NO (whilst using the accent! lol) and no one would feel away or take offense then I definitely would say it...

    ...But I can´t, instead I have to make out like I´m busy! lol - nah I´m out this weekend- I can´t do such and such!!

    At one point I was even avoiding calls (which I know is really bad!), but that did not work either! - They just tracked me down through other people... leaving messages to let me know they want to speak to me about ¨SOMETHING...!!!¨ lol!

    As Debs said with some people it is much easier said than done.

    *Sigh*...Saint Si... that´s me! :D

    ReplyDelete