Connect With The BDSS

Tuesday 24 August 2010

Love limits...

So I was off sick from work yesterday and between feeling sick and resting
I got in a good dose of Jeremy Kyle!
Now basically the show is a bit like Jerry Springer the only difference is that Jeremy is normally the one screaming at the guests, and although I don't necessarily agree with his methods (I'm not sure if he thinks that shouting at someone will make the point clearer?), however normally he does have some valid points...
i.e., If you knew she was an alcoholic why did you get her pregnant? (by the way -the show was about people with alcohol problems)
If you knew he was an alcoholic ten years ago why did you get married four years ago?
If you are always arguing,she is jealous & throws plates at you; and the only way to calm her down is to call the police why are you even with her?
Generally the answer to these valid questions usually involve the LOVE word... 
Now I love LOVE - just as much as the next person... But watching Jeremy Kyle shouting out these valid points really got me thinking about what people put up with in the name of love... I mean there was a women working two jobs whilst her husband was at home drinking (don't get me wrong I think alcoholism is a serious problem) and they have children too who are growing up in this environment and I just though where is the limit?? 
Equally for the women with plates flying at her, where is the Limit to loving someone but taking care of your own self esteem, emotional as well as physical wellbeing...
I mean maybe I'm a hard nut or something! Lol
But I can't understand letting someone treat you bad and staying with them. 
Although I can understand that you can still love someone who treats you badly.
So I was wondering are there any limits to love??? If so what are yours???

3 comments:

  1. Interesting blog sis!

    I'm sure the reasons are varied and complicated on top of feeling love for someone.
    A lot of the time its about self esteem and confidence issues so I read in magazines lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes they are limits to love... its important to know what you want and what you can take... yes at times its hard in practice and yes they are lessons to learn in the relationships one embarks on. However sometimes you just know that if that sucker slaps me and puts a mark on my body there is no discussion I'm out of here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I agree Sel, there are many complicated and varied reasons to stay in a bad situation and maybe it is to do with self esteem and confidence issues.
    Maybe if your self esteem is low you won´t feel confident about what you have if you did not have the relationship even though it´s bad! but to be ducking plates, that is deep!!??

    I agree with Jan physical/verbal abuse is not good, obviously we all argue at times but got to keep the respect some how and not go over the line!

    I had a sociology lecturer who was a real feminist type lady and I remember amongst talking about not shaving her legs and going swimming! (I still have visions of thick black hairs! lol)... she talked about the ´continuum of of abuse´ meaning that verbal abuse is abuse none the less, not just physical abuse...and I really got what she meant when I found myself in a predicament and decided... nah this is part of the continuum of abuse! ...and if I stay things will probably get worse.

    So it makes me wonder if you can see the future looks bleak, then why stay?

    ReplyDelete