Connect With The BDSS

Friday 20 August 2010

The sound track of Si´s life...

Following on from Debs post: The BDSS: The Heart of the Matter!

Em mm the sound track of my life...

When I was 5 or 6 me, Sel and our older sister used to dance around the front room to Madonna’s Like A VIRGIN, Kylie´s I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY, Rick Ashley´s NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP etc (our older sister was very into her pop music back then!)

Around the same time we would go to family house parties and dance to sweet soca and reggae music – such as – NANNY WINE, TINEY WINEY, MY SWEETY MY SUGAR! SWEET MAMA I’LL NEVER FORGET YOU, JUST DON’T WANT TO BE LONELY (Freddy McGregor!), ZOUK LA SE SEI MEDIKAMAN!!

When I was in primary school me and my friends used to form a line and do the DOLLAR WINE in the playground!
In the playground of our flats we used to do the BOGLE, BUTTERFLY & HERCULES... ´All ah dem!´ lol

In secondary school - It was all about YOUR BODY’S CALLING, HONEY LOVE, AGE AIN´T NOTHING BUT A NUMBER – and just all those classic SLOW JAMS! (Jodeci, Keith Sweat, Aaron Hall, Adina Howard, Monica, Brandy etc!)

About the time I was 12 or 13 Sel and I spent a summer of fun with our auntie and cousin. We were out everyday having fun… noticing the ‘fitness in the shop´! … Wayne Marshall’s G-SPOT song and album was the sound track for that summer! – hormones raging! Lol

Around 1998 (I was 16/17) it was all about Beenie Man, Buju Bantan, Wayne Wonder and them classic dance-hall tunes! ‘I’m in a back seat working (?!), hustling on the side, the informers lurking trying to break my pride’!! ‘Give them da dance buss da dance’.

Around 1999/2000 unfortunately I was on some heartbreak soundtrack! lol ...NOT GONE CRY by Mary J, HEARTBREAK HOTEL by Whitney and other depressing songs!

But then I met the BDSS and it was fun times again... and we raved to songs like TURN ME ON by Kevin Little, BABY IF YOU GIVE IT TOO ME by Mariah Carey and Busta, LOG ON by Elephant Man and all them other do a dance Dancehall songs!
Also COME DOWN FATHER by Beres Hammond (Debs!), FRENZY by Sanchez, DRY CRY by Sizzla, PASSION by Militant

... I could go on but there are to many songs and not enough time!

So here are some more favorites...


The lyric´s alone are too funny...women listen!



I don´t even know what they are saying or even what language they are speaking, but I sing every word!



I love this one!



This one reminds me of my father who had Sanchez on repeat when we went to Barbados aged 10.



Sorry I have gone all old school!



Classic...

Update: I had to add one more...



On hearing this one my mum was like... ¨freking, freking, freking? what kind of song is that?!¨ lol

Thank you for walking down my music memory lane, now I want to walk down yours! ...What are your favorite songs that remind you of your your favorite people, your favorite time and place or not so favorite!!
The lane is yours...

4 comments:

  1. It just goes to show how much music plays a big part in our lives and how much we identify with lyrics. Some make us smile others make us remember the good, the bad times and others lift us out of trouble and give us hope. I find a day does never goes by when i am not listening to music be it RnB or Gospel and i find myself embracing new sounds and styles simply because the lyrics speak so deeply to me. I have to say my all time favourite album has to be Mary J Blige 411 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so true! Music plays a major part our lives and when I think of certain times in my life there is always a specific song that spoke of my state of mind at that time.
    I'm like you these days, more into gospel music (food for my spirit!) and also still love reggae music...
    Mary J's 411 is a classic album I mean who isn't searching for a real love these days? and who has not 'been around the world and high and low' and still don't know how it feels to have a real love cause it seems there's none around... great lyrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol si - this sounds like my soundtrack as well! Perk of being a twin :) we used to listen to the same music. Although now your a dancehall and reggae queen while I'm very much into neo soul, eric roberson, raheim devaughn, jill scott, music soulchild et al.

    But I spent a whole evening you tubing all the old school soca tracks on your list, reminded me of old house parties.

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I know Sel! lol - But I do love Raheim, Eric, Robert Glasper and them though!

    Family house party music brings the best memories! I mean as you get older and life´s drama occurs songs take on new meaning and significants... i.e, that song is speaking of my pain, my love, my faith!
    Where as when your younger you just enjoyed certain songs without really understanding the meaning, take Obeah Wedding for example... ´Melda oh your making wedding plans carrying me name to Obeah man, all you do can´t get thru, I still ain´t gone marry to you´! lol
    Just think if you are a Melda -desperate for a particular man and he is not biting! That song is gonna speak volumes for you! lol

    ReplyDelete