Connect With The BDSS

Sunday 15 August 2010

Words of wisdom from the other side......

There have been a few rare occasions that I have been given words of wisdom or insight into the ways men think about women from men, some of these have stood out more to me than being a mere subject of debate but have actually made me think and I will share them with you.

"Women are like ships they need a pirate to take them over"

Having heard this my initial reaction was WTF!! Pirates, ships? It made no sense other than being the arrogant words of an egotistical man, but looking back I have thought about what brought this man to such a conclusion about the opposite sex. Having spent time as a single lady I would often ask myself the following questions:

When will I meet the one?

Why are all the good men not coming my way?

Why doesn't he have the WHOLE package?

Why am I still single!!!!!???

The truth is I was meeting nice men, the problem was ME, I wanted a relationship, but for all the WRONG reasons. Rather than valuing what I had to offer and matching this up with a potential hubby, I spent far too much time in the imaginary fairy tale land that I loved so much as a child....

Prince Charming sweeps me 'Cinderella' off her feet, loves her for her, but comes with the whole package which she falls in love with, and they all live happily ever after - THE END.
Now if only it was so simple of course it isn't like that at all!! So many women like myself - of old, want a man to take over. It usually starts very simply, boy meets girl, boy calls, boy and girl go out for a few dates. Boy and girl realise that they have loads in common, boy says the right things and pushes the right buttons to literally push the buttons, girl cares more and boy knows it. Sometimes this works, they have a loving relationship work together as a team and enjoy the delights that the future brings. But sometimes after the 'boy knows it part' the girl puts all her eggs in one basket and the boy starts dropping them one by one.

Men will often test us ladies especially after they have got the kitty to see how far they can push us, they enjoy the chase and more often than not if we are one step ahead they will be at our mercy, if on the other hand we allow them to become pirates of our ships oh lawdy! That's when we leave ourselves open to ALL sorts of drama. I've seen it done, and had it done to me and it ain't nice at all. Pirates are treacherous always looking for treasure and trashing the rest of the ship - totally out of control. It starts in all sorts of ways, perhaps he doesn't call when he says he would, girl calls straight away, after all she's been waiting, anticipating his call. He doesn't answer, he hasn't forgotten but wants to test her, yep she's failed the first test! Instead of calling her girls, or going out and missing his call when he decides to call because she is so busy, she yearns to get that man on her ship again, and this consumes her.

He of course obliges to see her, but, when he is ready, not when she wants which is an hour after he decides to call, nah he will leave her for a few days more, playing it smart, and knowing that the longer he leaves this ship, the more she will yearn for him to get all the treasure he needs. This includes, a nice cooked dinner, massage, a bit of chat, and the rest.....and most importantly no repercussions of not sticking to his words.

This sort of behaviour will continue, missed phone calls, late night visits without prearranging them first, after all he knows she's waiting on him (her 10 daily text messages prove this), and he no longer has to spend money on dates, she is just happy to see him.

Yes she will moan to her girls that he is a dog, cheap and just using her, yep we ladies like to vocally air what we know is true, hell yeah, we will repeat the same thing about the same man day in day out. But following our own advice is a very different story. We will moan to the guy that you need more than this, we may even say the LOVE word just to let him know how serious we are. He of course is laughing, he has got this ship just where he wants it, he doesn't even need to worry about another pirate taking over this one, when he disappears for a week or two.

On the other hand had we played this pirate at his own game as my wise mother says "monkey see, monkey do" this man wouldn't want to even be the pirate, he would want to be the captain of your ship, with YOU. Missed phone call or dates, are punishable offences! Don't run him down! He knows what he has done, he's an adult. Getting on with your life shows him that you had a life before him and will have one thereafter. This will make him think, and he will be more eager to please and won't be doing that again in a hurry. Late night nightly booty calls, just turning up late, hell nah! You have beauty sleep to catch up on, on things to do! Make a man respect your time not think it's his right to dip in and out of it when he wants! Wanting to chill in your house whenever you see each other, NO WAY! I've learnt that we women should start as we mean to go on, if you want to be stuck indoors for many years then sure go ahead chill, but this will become an issue later down the line - trust me.

So I will end this post with the words of a man that I was moaning to once, and he said this to me which changed my whole perspective.

"A man will only treat you how you allow him to treat you"

Straight from the horses mouth! So simple, and yet so true! So ladies captain your ships with a strong heart, believe me there are many pirates out there!

6 comments:

  1. I agree with everything Bee! lol

    Especially the horse´s mouth! You get treated how you allow yourself to be treated, and unfortunately some men are like pirates and will act accordingly, hijack you and then send you overboard!! (But only if you let them!)

    I think sometimes if you have this kind of fairy tale idea about love or just a particular someone then it might be difficult to accept that your prince charming is really a frog! But as Cher said its in his kiss! -that little twinge that´s making you think... hang on he said he was gonna call me right back and I have not heard from him in a week!?

    Also I think sometimes its so obvious that this person it not right for you, but we women take on the notion of ´changing´someone - we like projects! and we have notions such as -if only he could see how much I love him then he will be much easier to bend´ and so we give a lot and then they give a little and then the scales becomes unbalanced and then similar to a seesaw the man jumps off and then the women goes flying and lands with a bump that brings her back to reality!

    We need a list Bee - 10 signs he a pirate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The part I find the most truth out of is how we're busy putting our eggs in carefully, only for the alternate race to drop 'em without a second thought!!

    Reading this made me cringe (as I'm sure it'll make many other women) whilst remembering past lives where after the let down, all I had left was a dinghy (nevermind ship!!)

    Si - you're spot on about the popular notion of 'if only he sees how much I love him, he'll change'. Although that may be the case, it's healthy to not jump in and show our cards too soon and maybe reeling this compulsive excitement that we have from day dot will help to prevent us ending up such predictable and vulnerable stances, susceptable to kidnap by these 'pirates'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol Si a list could come in handy!

    But honestly I don't buy into this whole, my man's so terrible so that must mean that there is something wrong with ME!

    Call a pirate, plunderer, cheat, woman beater, a*rsehole........

    A pirate, plunderer, cheat, woman beater, a*rsehole!

    Don't interpret someone else's bad behaviour as evidence of something wrong with you.

    You meet people, you decide you like them or not and whether to take things further. If after 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years you finally take heed of the fact that hubby is actually a complete and utter pirate raiding your ship (to use the analogy in the post!) Despite your mum, Grandmother, best friends, work colleagues, that random relationship website you visited, your pastor, psychic, gym instructor (I could go on lol) telling you. That's on your hubby that's not you.
    I believe that as long as you enter into the relationship with your own good intentions then you can dump or be dumped by the pirate and still hold you head high!
    Untimately you can not control other peoples behaviour so why then turn it into a reason to put yourself down for. I think us women are too hard on ourselve even when we've been plundered!
    Myself personally I can not do that to myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bit of a different take on the post but all my bdss people will know that if any of them have ever come to me with some tale of someone ill-treating them, the first thing I will say to them is “you've done nothing wrong, do not beat yourself up for loving someone and trying to make things work”

    You can't criticise a person for that is my perspective

    ReplyDelete
  5. Selina you are speaking to my soul with your comments! If you go into a relationship with good intention then whatever happens good or bad you will be ok.
    If on the other hand your going in to make this person complete you, I guess if your self worth depends on this other person and how they treat you - well then your in trouble, because you can´t control how people treat you you can only control how you treat yourself (and others!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments ladies! I believe that like anything we all need to learn from our own mistakes and this goes for with men too. But I honestly feel that if I am not happy in any situation - the only person I can look to is myself to change it.

    Your right Sel, women shouldn't beat themselves up over situations with men and blame themselves and get depressed, but I think it helps to check yourself out and your own behaviour before just moaning about a man not treating you right. I've done it, and I'm still learning! But sometimes in negative situations with men, we spend so much time letting their behaviour consume us that we forget about what makes us happy and they - like you say Si, become our projects rather than us nurturing our own emotional needs and developments so we can learn how to get better treatment from that man, or meeting a man that is lovely!

    ReplyDelete