Connect With The BDSS

Wednesday 18 August 2010

The Heart of the Matter!

So on an average Wednesday night, whilst waiting for the second round of Emmerdale to come forth (look, Wednesday night telly is dry, alright!) I switched over to a MTV Base and found them churning out the top 20 Justin Timberlake 'choons'. Don't get me wrong, I was never the die-hard fan but I appreciate some of his songs and especially when he gets serious with his lyrics. So came about the blast from the past 'What Goes Around Comes Around' and I'm like "oooh, that was my TUUNE [end high pitch!]". I think I got so wrapped up in nostalgia, how I used to enjoy hitting up the clubs with fellow BDSSs, that I immediately opened up my laptop with super enthusiasm and logged on with the intention of titling this blog after the 'tune'!!

But when it came down to it, I didn't feel inspired enough to start writing so I had a trawl down memory lane, through the songs that have made imprints in my heart throughout my life and stumbled across the following:

"These times are so uncertain, there's a yearning undefined
And people filled with rage
We all need a little tenderness, how can love survive
In such a graceless age
. . .
"And the trust and self-assurance that lead to happiness
Are the very things we kill, I guess
Pride and competition cannot fill these empty arms
And the works they put between us, you know it doesn't keep us warm"
. . .
". . . All the people in your life, who've come and gone
Will let you down, you know they hurt your pride
Gotta put it all behind you, 'cause life goes on
You keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside"

These are wise words from my girl India are from, yep you guessed it; 'The Heart of the Matter', who's been my source of musical inspiration through both the happy and also the tough times and the above is an extract from a song that I feel beautifully encompasses the two together. Although I understand this song is a cover, she has a soulful voice that seems to find its way around the lyrics and compositions in a way that sounds as though it was written on the spot for you and about a situation that you coincidentally happen to be going through at that time. She does it everytime, for example (and feel free to click on all songs mentioned in this blog in case you're not sure what I'm on about):

Brown Skin: for when I'm feeling sexy and wanna lay it on my dark skinned-brother (!) and Ready for Love: for the times where I never thought love would ever find me.

So I thought that this is what I'd share with you, on this dry Wednesday evening. However, to make things a lot more interesting, I included a few more chronological blasts from the pasts which I guess pretty much sums up the kind of well-rounded variety of moods that I tend to adopt from time to time - purely for your enjoyment (well ok, mine then!!)

'Come Down Father', Beres Hammond
'By Your Side' - Sade
'Turn Me On' - Kevin Lyttle
'Too Bad Mind' - Elephant Man
'Willie Bounce' - Elephant Man (hand prints on walls come to mind. . .)
'Back to Black' - Amy Winehouse (Bi knows!!!)
'Bed' - J.Holiday
'African Queen' - 2Face Idibia
'Borbor Pain' - Emmerson (for all my Sierra Leoneans out there!!)
'Year of the Lover' - Lloyd
'Skin' - R. Kelly

8 comments:

  1. As an adopted SL - I´m jamming to Bobo Pain...CHUNE!

    Ah girl you are bring back sweet memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hand prints on the wall...bbaahhh!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!! It's forever imprinted in my brain and I've associated 'Willie Bounce' with that day, ever since!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The handprints were left by a stripper!

    It was someone's (that someone will remain nameless lol) birthday and I swear that they take anyone onto their books at these places, as this stripper was not that attractive nor could he really move!

    If your going to be a stripper atleast have some skills for when the musics playing and your required to strip lol! He ended up planting his baby oil covered hands on the wall and shaking his butt at us (he did keep on his thong don't worry!). It was only after he left that we noticed these two great big baby oil handprints on the wall! LMAO!

    Some very funny and interesting memories are attached to certain songs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debs I'm disappointed D'Angelo Brown Sugar, cruisin, and my favourite me and those dreamy eyes of mine didn't make your list or if we really wanna go back H Town
    But u are right some tunes just start your day and some end them at night Cece Winans don't cry for me, or worthy are some and off course some songs that help u forget those that should be forgotten

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah my bad - probably it's my own personal soundtrack of life! lol

    But India (and others like her) deserves all props for the way she can make certain songs sound as though they are specifically written for you. They are the ones I tend to enjoy the most

    ReplyDelete
  7. The albums I love include:

    Aaliyahs album - the one with street things etc on it. It reminds me off a school trip to belgium when I was 13 or so. All my girls and I playing the Album while getting ready to do the trip activities talking and Laughing together! Talking and singing the song with Some boy in mind, hormones raging lol!

    The next album I remember loving was Jagged edge-Wednesday lover - which was a real time of transition for me I had moved out of my mums house, and I remember playing the album in the kitchen jamming while preparing my dinner. I used to be a huge jagged edge fan.

    Mary J Blige - share my world - It reminds me of cruising in the car during summer. Singing out "I can love you, better than she can" lol! I absolutely loved it!

    What other tracks......

    Hmmmmmm........As yet's Album another school day album.

    Keith Sweat, Jodeci, wu tang clan, fugees - all school tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes selly25 i feel you my sister

    ReplyDelete