Connect With The BDSS

Monday 13 September 2010

Skinny Bitches!

Ok, so it's now my turn to rant lol! Now, this is based upon personal experiences and is simply me exploring what is or isn't perceived as acceptable in this day and age.

'Prejudice': "an assumption made about someone or something before having adequate knowledge to be able to do so with guaranteed accuracy."

Baring the above in mind (and personally speaking), it beggars belief how some people feel entitled to make remarks about people who are slender and perceived as underweight, but would deem it rude or inappropriate to direct those comments in an opposite manner towards a larger person. For example, just how common are the following remarks:

"Don't you ever eat?!"
"You need to put some meat on them bones!"
"Why are you exercising, it's not like you need to lose anymore weight!"
"We need to fatten you up back to health."

Now, growing up in a predominantly African household, I got most of the above frequently because in some African cultures, you're simply unwell if you don't fill out your clothes from a young age. Admittedly, this has changed a little over the last couple of decades but I think it's more to do with what the Western world are finding popular rather than changes of mindsets.

The above remarks may not seem terribly shocking, but I feel that it's partly to do with the fact that you can walk into any workplace or family setting and hear it being said without much reaction to it - ok, fine! But now, I want you to now imagine the same above remarks only in reverse and directed at larger folk:

"Don't you ever stop eating?"
"Do you even have a collar bone?"
"Have you not heard of a gym?"
"Isn't it about time you thought of a diet plan?"

Let me guess; either your back has gone up or you at least thought "that's deep!" - even when such comments are not directed at you but you happen to witness them. None of the above could ever be said without some serious repercussions and rightly so, because it's just plain rude and out of order. So, what's the difference between them and the first set??

Unfortunately, many people find themselves presuming, prejudging and then assuming things about people or situations that they are not fully clued up on. Contrary to popular belief, some larger folk that I know are indeed content with their weight, healthier than most and have the confidence to back it up. On the flip side, not everyone who is a size 8 or under is starving themselves to stay that way or sticking their finger in their throat after every meal. In fact - I eat so much crap you wouldn't believe it!! But then I can have a month of little or no junk food and still weigh the same either way.

Where some of us are concerned, our natural weight is not actually a preference but a part of our genetic makeup, as it is in my case - right down to some men. My mother was always known for being quite slim but curvy and although I'm thankful to be a carbon-copy of that, we've found that putting the weight on is not always as easy as it sounds and add that to a high metabolism, it's like running up an escalator that's coming down!

As I've gotten older, comments like 'there's nothing to you' or 'I'm surprised you can find anything that fits' or 'you eat so much crap - your cholesterol must be sky high' has become increasingly offensive, especially because they feel free and happy to dish it out, but would run to whoever's in charge if I reversed the compliment. These comments are a lot more common from women than they are from men, who if they don't have anything nice to say - don't say anything at all lol! What I don't appreciate is people taking consolation in believing that there must be something wrong with me to be able to eat what I like and not look/feel like them!

Certain health conditions can also contribute to our physical statures. Over-active thyroids, diabetes and immobility are just some examples of conditions that can contribute to a heavier weight/weight gain and can be difficult to diagnose, treat and recover from. Whereas anaemia, low blood sugar and depressive disorders (i.e. Bulimia or anorexia) are other examples that at times contribute to a low weight/weight loss.

Whether we're rolly-pollies or skeletors, BFGs (as in tall) or midgets, geeks (the thick-rimmed glasses kind) or 'blondes' (as in the Brian Belo kind!) - we were all created uniquely and it's up to us to find out what makes us special. I did not choose to be how I am, but I've embraced it nonetheless. It may be more 'acceptable' to be slender these days but if you (like me) have always been naturally skinny since before sizes 6 and below even existed, chances we've also been subjected to similar issues as faced by voluptuous sisters.

These may be a touchy subject but hey - I've jumped in with both feet about one of my most touchiest issues! How about you BDSSers? Do people assume things about you based on your appearance and before having the decency to back up their assumptions or better still, ask you about it?

3 comments:

  1. Well I am one of those round girls well pear shaped the bigger pear LOL and to be honest I hate it and lack that real confidence in my shape, however i'm taking steps to be slim and healthier for myself. Yes I hate when people can say things like "don't you eat" to someone slim but it be offensive if you say "do you ever say no too food" to someone bigger and think slim people aren't offended by that.

    When it comes to African communication I get that its almost the norm to call folks out but that's just how we communicate and yes less so now, however it doesn't stop whomever that is directed to from feeling uncomfirtable. As I have been on some many test and asked so many side effects questions doctors sometimes give me the side eye because I don't suffer most of what a high percentage of over weight people suffer. Like I did a lung test and the doc said "take a deep breath keep going ..." then says "wow you have great lung capacity" not knowing that singing does give you a bigger lung capacity I thought as oppose to what and then says "you are healthly young lady better than most" I wanted to reach in my bag and bring brought out a slap assumptions are indeed the very worst. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol ladies,I do feel you on this one.

    When it comes to weight issues people are so obsessed and opinionated. They can be obsessed with their own weight and the weight of others - which leads to the comments.

    I've had experiences when I have put on some weight, where i'd see people i hadnt seen in a few months and the firt things they'd say when setting eyes on me is "you've put on so much weight" no 2hello how are you selly" just "you look fat" lol!

    I even remember being at my mums eating christmas dinner a few years ago and going to get seconds and one of my in-laws made a comment which made me feel embarrassed to be eating more food (looking back I think it was christmas for goodness sake!)

    Its never nice to have some random comment made about your weight especially if you are particularly sensitive to it, as described in this post.

    Just ignore the weight haters people! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrying my third child there is definitely a feeling that you need to get back to 'normal' this can be because of your own internal need to get back to your usual weight, pressure from celebrities losing their baby weight in 5 days, or pressure from friends and family. With my eldest son I had a neighbour and I remember her coming over and saying oooohhhh you will have to loose this weight you don't want him (my sons father) losing interest (My son was about 2 weeks old). When I had my youngest it was a similar thing oooohhhh you need to lose more weight off your stomach!

    I hate people commenting on my appearance, believe me no one is more critically of my appearance than me! There was a time that I was very depressed though, and a close friend at the time was horrified at how much weight I had lost, and just sat me down and said I was looking ill. I realised that I wasn't looking after myself, so in that instance I was grateful, but that's the only time!

    ReplyDelete