Connect With The BDSS

Thursday 14 October 2010

Songs That Take You To A Dark Place



I was having a conversation with someone the other day about a popular singer and this person was adamant that the singer worships the devil, and that there are signs in video’s and alter egos etc… so they are very careful about what they consume.


To be honest my initial thought was that they have been watching too much YouTube or reading to much conspiracy websites… but now I think about it they probably had a good point!
You see whilst driving home from a family visit I took a trip down musical memory lane; I dusted off my Ms Dynamite A Little Deeper album and cranked up the volume for some car karaoke.


Now I don't know about you but I loved most of Ms Dynamite’s first album because she gave me circumstances I could truly relate to…


Had a broken heart? √ (Check)


Yearned from deep with in? √ (Check)


Thought you'd never see the light again?  √√ (Double Check)


With songs like Any Way You Want It, Seed Will Grow and All I Every Want, the album spoke to my soul, but there is one song I loved the most however is Now You Want My Love ...So there was me happy as can be singing along to Ms Dynamite…


[Verse One]

'Remember when I was so weak 4 u,
Remember when I felt so deep 4 u,
I remember the day I cried 4 u,
Remember the days I though I'd die for you.
But you said you had no time for me,
Said that you and I would never be,
Said you wouldn't mind gettin' up
between my legs, But not good
enough to be your girl that's what you said.

[Pre Chorus x2]

Ooh how you broke my heart that day,
All the love I had for you,
But only disrespect did you show me.

[Chorus:]

Now you want my love,
So what ya tryin' 2 tell me?
Now I'm good enough?
And now you want my time,
If you think you're gunna get it must be out ya fu*kin mind…

(You get the gist!)…


I tell you I was in the my element therefore it was only after I finished singing the song that I realised... Huh? I'm in a dark mood?! Lol


I mean my other half was in the car and all of a sudden I found whatever he was doing quite irritating: 
he was texting and I found that annoying! ...he was talking on his phone and I found that equally irritating! ...he was minding his own business and that was THRICE as grating!


You see back in the days I loved that song for a reason… and surprisingly I found myself briefly in that F-U mind space! Ha-ha (obviously once I realised I was in that mind space for no apparent reason I quickly went back to my usual sweet self)!


* see here for verification that I am a saint: The BDSS: A good deed TURNED...


So anyways it got me thinking that music can do that to you... one minute your cool, the next minute you’re pissed! Certain songs take you certain places (in this case the dark side)!


So anyways all you BDSS followers let's have some fun today... I want to hear about the songs that take you to your dark place...

5 comments:

  1. I was looking for Advise on breaking up and found this great site www.saveabreakup.com I gotta admit its great and it worked for me and helped me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol wow your up and blogging early Si!

    I too loved a bit of ms dynamites a little deeper album back in the day. But I've long since lost my copy, I've got the album cover but no CD :(


    Yeah I've heard all that business about certain symbols and signs and things said are demonic etc, but I tend to just enjoy a song for its good beat and maybe its catchy chorus, I'm no longer all that fussed about the video's that accompany them or what they represent.

    As for my choice of song or album that really has a very dark mood to it, my immediate thoughts was on old DMX tracks "the snake, the rat, the cat, the dog how you gonna see em if your living in the fog" or "either let me fly or give me death". I used to really boop my head to these tracks back in the day and enjoy something about it- I think that maybe that darkness felt appealing for that period of time! And I think we can all agree that DMX was not then or is now in the best of headspaces!

    Also Amy winehouses albums come to mind as well!....lol shocking I know but I will tell you why! I loved listening to her back to black album and her first album, and it was only when someone said to me that they really used to enjoy it but when they actually listened to the words they felt like they no longer could listen to it, it got me listening to it a bit deeper and I found that she sings a lot about negative aspects of relationships which I guess is an appealing thing. "F me pumps" and "yours is a familiar face but that don't make your place safe in my bed, my bed, my beeeedddd" are some examples. Now don't get me wrong I still listen to my Amy albums as they indeed have good beats and catchy chorus' but I think just like DMX's headspace everyone know AMY's is a lot messed up as well. Would I want to think and act like these people or feed off the dark, broody Drama's that these albums have? Definitely not! But can I still appreciate a good song and a beat without being deeply drawn into it and it affecting my mood? Hell yeah!


    I think songs and albums definitely have moods and subjects that aren't always good, but at the same time I don't think they affect my mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow anonymous that website looks deep, the first few sentences were a revelation! That can be salvaged, really? :-D I will have to have a proper browse later.

    Sel - DMX the snake the rat the cat the dog... that song will have you paranoid! lol

    Ditto to Amy, she told it AS IS! There was no sugar coatings in her albums, only pain!
    ´BLACK, BLACCKK, BLAACCKKKK!#

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know but the only album i can say that i have heard which is dark was Janet Jackson Velvet Rope some of the songs where screaming i have been abused, i need a change, i needs to get away, you did me wrong... oh and Mary J Blige No Drama. Though for me i think there is power in words and sometimes that is the best way to get them out your system and then i guess the healing can begin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. # "I get so lonely can't let just just anybody hold me ..you are the one that lives in me my dear ...don't want no one but you!" #

    I love that album!

    ReplyDelete