Connect With The BDSS

Friday 3 June 2011

Black British or African-Caribbean? Who am I?

Black. Nubian. Queens 1999!
Standing at the school gates I was chatting to another mum who asked me where I was from. I informed her that my grandparents were Jamaican, and before I could finish what I was saying she said “Aaaahhh your English”. My son just interrupted me, because I was ready to get into a debate about why I’m not English , but fortunately I was saved because I really do not identify myself as such. I have been brought up to regard myself as African - Caribbean even though I have only visited the Caribbean through music, books, television, and the experiences of others and Nigeria, Africa, fairly recently for Christmas in 2009.

I personally feel that the other racial description for myself, 'Black-British,' lacks belonging; especially where the 'black' is concerned. It is an ambiguous term, and identifying myself to a place of my racial origin is important to me. The European history, which I was taught in mainstream school, did not offer some of the answers that I had in my young mind about my own cultural identity, which I was faced with, every time I looked in the mirror. Some of you may argue that as I, along with my parents, was born in Britain, then I am Black-British, but I say, ‘A tree without roots cannot grow’. Perhaps if Britain were as accepting as some people feel, perchance my need to identify with my heritage would not be as important to me. Such a need for cultural identification does not evolve without sources, I'll explain.

At the age of 16 I entered the shockingly multiracial environment of Hackney, East London. Prior to this I was brought up in a predominantly Caucasian area of Nottingham, and was amongst a handful of children from ethnic minorities, throughout my primary and secondary school education.

When I was around five, I remember walking to my local corner shop without a care in the world other than the ten pence mix that I was about to purchase. Then I heard it- "Black Jack! Oi, Black Jack!" Looking across the road I saw around four teenage boys, laughing and pointing at me. I remember not being able to comprehend the significance of such an event, and nonchalantly told my horrified mother, as I chewed on the Black Jack sweets when I got home.
On other occasions I would play with my next -door neighbours, who were from a Polish-English background. They would frequently call me Paki because of my mother's Asian partner, or Medusa due to my long single-plaited hair. I remember knowing that it was wrong, but I was an only child, and the thought of losing my playmates over racism that I was too young to comprehend, was unquestionable. I happily continued to brush their long blonde hair, whilst dreaming of becoming a hairdresser, so that I could style such hair every day, disregarding my own hair that was a source of amusement.
   
At infant school I was introduced to many new friends, yet my experiences with racism did not diminish. I remember eagerly awaiting my friend  invitation to her birthday party as she handed them out in the classroom, observing the sad look in her eyes when she came to me, and was forced to say,  “My dad doesn't like black people, but don't worry, I'll bring you some cake”. Children are like sponges, absorbing all aspects of the world. I didn't see an image of myself on birthday cards; the books I read did not tell a story about someone who looked liked me. I was a child who was too black to go to parties and so ultimately became withdrawn.

My mother wanted me to be confident and proud of my racial origin, acknowledging the racial ignorance's within society and its effects on me. At the age of eight I was sent to the Steve Biko Saturday School, which supplemented my maths and English education, whilst also educating me about African/Caribbean history, which I was not taught in mainstream school. It is there I learned that African inventor’s and historical figures existed, and that African, Caribbean and African-American history did not begin and end with slavery. I never had  an African/Caribbean teacher in mainstream school, but at Saturday school, African/Caribbean teachers were the only majority. With this new found knowledge I learned that members of my race were and continue to be, teacher’s, scientist's, astronauts, explorers and doctors, and not explicitly singers and sports men and women, which I predominantly saw in the media. I most importantly realised that an achievable path had already been laid for me, and all I needed to do, was walk it.
   
A very different child emerged, one who would question, "Why do we say blackmail?". Fortunately, most of my teachers liked my inquisitiveness,. often pondering with me the negative perceptions equated to 'black', the racial description, most people gave my race.

At secondary school, I set out on a one girl mission to implement black history into the classroom. Every presentation I tendered had something to do with Africa or the Caribbean, albeit history, music, or literature, set amongst the classroom chorus of "Here she goes again!" but I was undeterred and my Caucasian classmates would listen intently, affectionately calling me, 'Nubian Queen', until we left school in 1999.

Reflecting on my experiences, I am thankful for every one, good and bad. I am happy that I know aspects of European history, yet proud that I have my own history and land with which to identify. Without identification, would I be sharing my experiences with you today? So BDSS ladies what were your childhood experiences when dealing with race? Were you ever confronted with racism? What do you feel comfortable with when ticking those application forms? Readers please share your views! I believe that ‘African Heritage Month’ should not just be celebrated in October, so look out for my monthly posts on brilliant figures that weren’t in the history books at school, as well as topics relating to people of African descent.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent post Bi! Can't really comment fully now but will be back later to get into it.

    I will say though I definitely think Black British does not cut it in terms of how I personally identify myself although in theory the colour of my skin is black and I am British!
    With two parents born in the Caribbean I have a wealth of Caribbean influences which resonate in me and with which I identify.

    Although ask my mum and she will tell you I am British and my son is British! Ha

    Therefore it’s all about preference really and whether you seek to gain that knowledge of your heritage or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Bi, and I'm sure plenty of people have pondered where they're roots lie and how to describe it. So many times when I get asked to describe my ethnic background on forms or wherever there doesn't seem to be the correct category lol, which I guess lies the problem, its such a subjective thing, when I was growing up in good old hackney london, I had a strong sense of my caribbean (my parents are from st lucia and barbados) and british (I was born in london) roots. For me I've always been both, as I've gotten older started to understand a bit more about black history, I do consider myself to be afro-caribbean as well as british.
    I've been fortunate in that I've experienced racism on very few occasions that they are not worth mentioning. Plus I don't care I'm proud to be who I am and from where I'm from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely think it's a generational thing too. Two of my grandparents never went back to Jamaica when they arrived in the 60's and I know even though my grandfather is proud to be from Jamaica he would probably class himself has British. He certainly wouldn't say he is African - Caribbean. I remember once getting into a debate with him regarding his African heritage, and he really wasn't having it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally have never suffered any racism thankfully. Really to be honest it doesn't bother me with the forms however i does get on my never that if the government want to class us shouldn't they ask us what we are instead assume because we after all elect them into government to represent us. *rolls my eyes* I am by definition Black which i am and British which i am as i was born here however my origin is Zambian of South African decent which i am very proud off and if someone asks that is exactly what i tell them. I was not born off myself so i it is only right i finish telling you exactly where i am from. Peace and grace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant post Bi!!

    On forms, I tend to tick the African, the Caribbean, AND the Black British boxes as I genuinely feel I am made up of all 3 lol. I don’t much care for the term ‘Black’ British but I was born here and have always lived here so at this moment in time, could not consider anywhere else, whether it be JA, Cuba or Sierra Leone, home. Like you say, a tree must have roots so I also am very proud of my heritage and history 

    Thankfully, I haven’t been exposed to massive levels of racism throughout life although I suppose it only takes one experience to really affect you. I’ve also had neighbourhood ‘friends’ who relished in the moment they likened me to a Dairy Milk bar. I think that things said as children are more forgivable than said as adults; as kids are extensions of their parents and the morals they’re being taught but there’s no excuse (not even ignorance) for an adult to knowingly offend another adult, be it skin colour, heritage or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its killing me,
    I wrote something specifically,
    On the matter of identity-
    But id be damned if i can find it,
    O well never mind it-
    But if it pops up,
    Ill be sure to let u know,
    And for now ill have to comment,
    With no poetic flow

    So im black, im british, im carribean, and im african, and im proud of my full identity and heritage... you are what you are nothing can change that and im not gonna go into the subject of racism its too long and too contentious (although i wanna tell it like it is i just cant be bothered).. may i just say.. the great human journey (a bbc program) finally acknowledged the fact that africa is the cradle.. so that can be put in a few pipes to be smoked... now back to my identity..if youre confused by the view ive expressed your not the only one so id like finish by saying that above all i class myself as being a human being, sod the argument..and ill share this one cause i think it ties in loosely

    Family names with shady heritage
    Lay claim to innocent bloodlines
    All the empty words yet they never give
    valid recognition and compensation for these times
    Instead we bear the cross of being lost
    Underwriting our own cost
    Sons and daughters of those shackled in ships

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad I stumbled upon this post. It's wonderfully written, and gives information I couldn't get from others. My white friends who have spent time in Britain might not recognize racism if it happened in front of them unless it were blatant. The one African-American who'd lived in London was an older woman who, of course, spent time with other mature people who either wouldn't be racist or would politely hide it. She was convinced there were only issues with class rather than race there.

    I generally accept "African-American" as a label, though I find it amusing that the only member of my family to have ever gone to Africa happens to be white. It's interesting to see these matters looked at from a non-American point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @An Again and CMF thank you for your comments. I am glad that I have offered a new view point on the matter An Again as many of the books and articles out there do have mainly African-American perspectives.

    ReplyDelete