Connect With The BDSS

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Step-families, How Do You Get it Right?

Step-Families
A few weeks ago I was surfing the net and stumbled on a parenting website, whilst at the site I came across a problem page, and read in disbelief as a man described pure hatred for his 4-year old step daughter. He complained about how she slept in the bed next to her mother because she was scared, and that her mother wasted their valuable time together by reading her stories, and taking her shopping. He hated the way she looked, spoke, acted and somehow delusionally felt that readers would offer him a sympathetic ear. Whoa, this man clearly didn't know what had hit him, because response after response was quite rightly telling him exactly where he should go and that he was by no means fit to be living under the same roof as this poor child. 

Now being a mother myself I was horrified not only for this poor child but also for her mother, who probably thought that this man was a really nice guy, and had been taken in by his deceit. By no means is it just some men that feel this way about their step children. A few years back I knew a lady that couldn’t stand her step son, of course she would never have admitted it to his father, but behind closed doors she described how she would hope that he would be killed in an accident, just so she could have his father to herself. She knew she was behaving disgustingly and even warned me about who I had around my own child “Because people think the way I do, they just don‘t show it.”

When you have children there is always much worry as to when you should introduce your new partner to your child. I was reading a book by Steve Harvey ‘Act Like a Lady Think Like a Man’ and he stated that women shouldn’t leave it a long time before they introduce a man to their child so that a man could clearly see the everyday running’s of their lives and appreciate their responsibilities. The danger with this is that some men would see this and run a mile leaving you with some explaining to do to your child, whereas if you take your time with introductions and get to know the person and share your life in everyday conversations they will stick around or realise it’s just too much responsibility and leave without getting your kids involved.

A few years back I was dating a guy and I would often notice that he wouldn’t ask about my son even though they hadn’t met. I thought this was impolite and enquired as to how he felt about me having a child, he honestly told me he wasn’t ready to take it on. At the time I was pretty annoyed, but looking back I am appreciative of his honesty, he saved me from a lot of chaos. But I also had to read between the lines. In the past I myself would say that I wouldn’t date someone with a child. By no means was it because of the child, but what came with the child, such has their mother = an ex girlfriend or wife. I have had my fair share of baby mama drama and it’s not the nicest of experiences, but I now have a completely different view of dating people with children, which is pretty much down to the individual and how they deal with the situation. I also used to think that people with children would have a better understanding of parenting and would therefore be better step-parents, I now believe it’s what is in the persons heart regardless of whether they have children or not.

Sometimes people go into relationships and see the children as being separate to their parents, and I think the examples at the top of the post illustrate this. Rather than thinking that this woman or man comes has a package with their child therefore your love and respect for the person you are with should also include the child, sometimes people see the parent and child separately which is just heading for disaster.

Talking from experience I know that it’s not easy being a step-parent; you are dealing with a child that you have not raised and are most likely being watched by the whole family and your partner as to how you are treating this child so have added pressure. Plus you may even have a child that resents the situation and use you as their target. I feel that it is very important to communicate any worries you have with your partner and think about how you both want to raise the child. I think that the basis should be to treat the child how you would treat your own, or would want your own child treated in such a situation. This is sometimes not completely possible in every way because you may clash (for example) with discipline and it isn’t always easy to start disciplining a child that you haven’t raised. The most important thing is to work actively to develop a bond with the child and see a positive relationship with them as being just as important as being a loving husband or partner.

I’ve known many people who have been raised in step families and have had brilliant relationships with their step-parents. I also know people who’ve had a nightmare growing up with step parents, mainly because core issues and foundations were not set up by the adults. So Readers and BDSSers would you date a man or woman with a child? If you have done, what have your experiences been? Do you think it’s possible to treat a step child as your own? When is the right time to introduce your child to a new partner?

12 comments:

  1. Great post Bi! Very poignant, especially with the increase of blended families in this day and age.

    With these setups, the challenges are ongoing. Having dated a couple of people in the past with children, there was a time where I used to say that I would never put myself in that position again because when things go sour, you (the non-biological parent) could be left feeling like the 'outsider' sometimes even in your own home - and that's not a nice feeling (not to mention the older the get is the less chance you finding someone without a child lol!) Also, a lot more people get hurt if/when things go badly and least deserving of that is the innocent child. Concerning discipline and the whole 'it's my child not yours' shouldn't be used just when it suits as I believe if you trust someone to come into your life, you are bringing them into your child's life too so if they are good enough to (whether it be) cook, clean, collect/drop, play with, take out etc - chances are they have their best interests at heart.

    On the other hand, it is a two way street and it's absolutely terrible that any adult could wish (whether they act on it or not) any harm to any child; thinking such thoughts is already an end to that relationship! You're absolutely right; if you decide to start a relationship with who has children, you have to realise that others are already involved and decide if you're ready for the challenge - cos it will be!

    Maybe there is no 'right time' per se; but I suppose it can only be dependent on the two adults in the relationship, and the children this will impact upon - in this case, it would be down to the parent to make that judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Bi and to answer your question i do think it is possible so long as you communicate with everyone even the children at a level they will understand and accept, remember that you are still THE PARENT. Its feelings, fears, change, embrace, letting go of the old system taking on a new system, new family, new rules all these things take some getting used to and some things you will try and they will fail other things you try a few times. They are boundaries that one parent might have that the other may not have or have more off. Its about paying attention and asking questions all this is about communication which is easy to say but very hard to actually do, but if you want a smooth ride then the hard work is well worth the effort because it is in love you have come to have each other. Pray its important to pray into such situations if you are a Christian that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Bianca! First of all message me the website where you found this man's letter so I can add my 2-pence cussing him! What is sadder is that the woman involved with him has not picked this up yet!!! There would no doubt have been clues all over the place that this is how he feels about her child. Her child must also be feeling it too. It is quite frightening that she has immersed herself so much into this relationship without picking this up. As a Mum I am so sensitively aware of anyone's reaction to my child.

    But to answer your questions- I would and currently date a man with children. And to be honest, it has been 13 years of bliss where that issue is concerned. It works for several reasons. He has a good and open relationship with his kids and they have the utmost respect and faith in him to know that he would never bring anyone and everyone around them. So I think I was the first other woman they ever met. He has also bought them up to be generally well behaved and to be just good kids - of course they have their moments like all kids. I guess the other thing that helped is that we don't all live together but I think if we did, the people we are would mean that we would work hard at making it work. Their dad just has boundaries that under no circumstances must be crossed when it comes to behaviour - a good and sometimes not a good thing!

    I think for me as the person I am, I love and treasure children so much that I could not not find a way to make it work...! So I think it is more than possible for me to treat a step child as my own.

    I think that if 2 people have the same core values, in general, there would be agreement and harmony within the step family. This doesn't mean it would be all roses. When there is a situation where there is a lot of drama and hatred with step-parents and step-children likely there is some sort of tension or issues or problem with that relationship. A true parent puts their child's well being first no matter what and if their man/woman does not 'feel' their child, there should be no compromise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree @Rhoda definitely the child comes first without any compromise.

    This is great post Bi because I can't understand why someone would go into a situation knowing that they are not ready to, or unable to deal with someone else's child.

    Those two people you describe Bi are frightening quite frankly and it is likely the level of resentment will be picked up on by the child which does not bear thinking about.

    I definitely agree the parent should thrash out all the fundamentals before introducing the new partner to the child.

    I also agree with @Debs 'your child'or 'my child' is not a good mentality to have when blending families at the end of the day if you want your family to work you got to start thinking like a family and act in the best interest of all involved - it definitely ain't easy though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the interesting thing is that look at some of the things they may tolerate in that relationship they have entered, yet not deal with the other person's child...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's absolutely amazing how people can be so protective of their own children, whilst being horrible towards other peoples children.

    The two examples given in the post are awful! I feel sorry for the kids. There is nothing more damaging that being made to feel unwanted and unloved by someone whom your around through no choice of your own.

    I also find it amazing how many parents have hang-up's about dating other parents with children this always baffles me as you would think that it might make someone more understanding, but people often choose to view it as a negative while expecting some single person to accept their own kids (bb confused face).

    And it also amazes me the amount of people with children who end up being absolutely awful step-parents. You would think that with some parenting experiences themselves that they would get it and understand what is required.

    And it also amazes me how many people have so many kids whilst claiming to not really be kid people.

    When it comes to step parenting and dating I'd just advise extreme caution as children are vulnerable and these are the most important years in their development and no child deserves to have their childhood blighted by a parents partner, and the truth is that some people are just f'd up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why does it amaze you that people have children without being kid people.
    Its one thing to love your child it is completelty separate to love someones elses children.
    I was in a relationship with someone who had a child that I considered to be a very good kid, I know this as I have children within my own family that werent as mannerisable and behaved as this child.
    Unfortunately as much as I loved the mother I didnt love the child, i grew to like him and over the years felt like that bond could and was growing. The only problem is the childs mother made me feel like if I didnt express love to the child there was an issue!! I couldnt pretend to let off a feeling that wasnt there. I always treated the child well, would give when needed and never treated the child negatively as I think it is out of order to verbally or emotionally abuse kids, which is whats happening to some kids it seems.
    Point being I dont expect anything from my partners with my kids as they are my responsibility, and they have there loviong mother and father!!! If my partner is willing to get involved and do extra, then i welcome it, but never expect it, as im not leaving my childs happiness to chance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for commenting anonymous. Everyone has their own views and opinions, hence why I feel amazed by things, while you don't! Different strokes for different folks and all that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. To a certain extent, I honestly believe that although the levels of interaction that someone has with their partner's child can differ (as in how often they are around this child), it is important that they are made to feel comfortable - whatever the arrangements may be, and this undoubtedly requires effort.

    More times than most, the woman in the relationship has their child full time whereas the man (unfortunately) does not, which means that the woman may not get the opportunity to interact (or be involved) as much often as it is the other way around. Depending on the depth and seriousness of the relationship, I would think that the child who is around on a more full time basis should not be made to feel uncomfortable in their everyday setting, just the same as the child who isn't around as much but visiting often.

    Definitely isn't easy though but I suppose it really depends on how much both parties involved want the relationship to work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the comments! It's not easy at all, Rhoda I will definitely message you the forum he's sick and I'm not sure how his wife fails to see this.

    Truth is everyone is different, personally if I was to be with someone I feel they should treat my children as their own and love them. Obviously I wouldn't expect this to happen over night but I feel that if you have love for the parent you love the people they come with. I say this doesn't happen over night, but you should take the time and make the effort with the partners child, then these feelings will grow. If you just see your children as your responsibility and your partners children as their responsibility then of course your feelings will not grow as the child will be a stranger and you will treat the child as such.

    Anon any right minded woman will tell you that she is first and foremost a mother and if you do not love her for everything she is you will probably face issues of old. Just because a child has a loving mother and father doesn't mean the role of being a step-parent can be glazed over, it too is an important role. Being a supportive step-parent is being a supportive partner. Blended families are called as such because everyone should be involved.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree Bi the role of step father/mother can not be glazed over (as Debs says depending on the set up) as any child in that situation would not just look at that other person in their parents life as - oh thats just my mum/dad's girlfriend/boyfriend so how they treat me is irrelavant.

    In my own experience me, my child, my partner, my partners family and my family are all very integrated.
    Myself and my child spend a lot of time with my partners family, my child has a close relationship with my partner. This in no way takes away from the relationship he has with his father (his father is his father -fact).

    I think he has two great male role models, who he can turn to, who he definitely looks up to and most importantly he feels secure around.

    Thats not to say it has been easy and the inevitable issues which arise when raising children come up (i.e., boundaries, discipline and every day schedules).

    All these things have been chopped up, worked out and updated as my son has grown between myself, his father and my partner (As they say it takes a community to raise a child!).

    I can honestly say I would trust my partner to take the very best care of my son if in the event myself or his father were not around. This trust comes from knowing over the years he has taken an active role, interest and genuinely cares for my child and his welfare - from helping with homework, taking him out, doing things togather, giving my child help and advice when needed and taking a genuine interest in raising him up to be a sucessful young man.

    He is not just here for me he is also here for my child and takes his responsibility, influence and presence as a stepfather very seriously.

    I got to say if someone has no interest in your child; or views your child with little or no regard then they are not the one for you (message to the mothers and fathers out there).

    I understand everyone has different opinions and ideas about family life but for me a disinterested person = detrimental to be around my child.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats the beauty of debate Sel :)

    I thought about where I had formed my opinions, and why I disagree that you should expect anything from a parent when the child has a mother and father (if the partner is willing great, but i dont think they should be relyed on)

    Im never taking a risk with my children!!

    I think my opinion has been formed from my upbringing, I look back now as an adult and my mother never ever had any men around us!!! As a child as far as i am aware my mother never had any partners, now being an adult i realise that she probably did but went to great length to make sure that our perfect lil worlds werent effected, which was a great move as her and my dad ended up back together again!!!!

    Its brilliant when you can meet a partner who integrates with with your family and the other parent of the child!! I would love to experience that

    ReplyDelete